Saturday, July 13, 2013

Exploring Historical Churches in Bulacan

Bulacan will always be famous for different historical sites that can be found there. So last Visita Iglesia, my family decided to go to Bulacan (on the day itself) without any plans. We're only armed with mobile internet to search on Google Maps for directions!

Barasoain Church

Also known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish

I’ve heard/read a lot about this church but it was actually my 1st time to visit. According to wikipedia, this church earned the titles “Cradle of Democracy in the East”, “Most important religious building in the Philippines” & “Site of the 1st Philippine Republic”.


The altar

I don’t know the formal term of that “stage” but based on what I learned from my history classes, it serves as the place where the priests stood while preaching (correct me if I’m wrong haha)


The church was smaller than I expected but the arches & the paintings in its ceilings made the structure look bigger.


The bell tower



The family

Malolos Cathedral



Also known as Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception

Malolos Cathedral is one of the historical churches in Bulacan. It served as the presidential palace of Emilio Aguinaldo during the 1st Philippine Republic.


The statue of the Immaculate Conception at the top of the bell tower that replaced the Triangular Cone after its major renovation.


The interior of the cathedral (photographed by my dad)


Obando Church


Also known as San Pascual de Baylon Parish Church

The church is famous for its annual Fertility feast wherein the devotees perform the so-called Obando dance plus a street procession.


The main altar


So amazed with the paintings!





1 comment: